Thursday, January 15, 2009

Johan a Sports Psychologist, Too...


OUR SPORTS PSYCHOLOGIST CAN PITCH BETTER THAN YOURS

The contribution made by sport psychologists: Helping athletes, through psychological treatment methods, to achieve optimum mental health and therefore enhance sporting performance (often involving techniques such as visualisation and relaxation)

ANTHONY McCARRON, DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
, has an interesting article today involving Johan Santana, throwing his support to a Mets re-signing of Oliver Perez. Aside form Johans view that Ollie has matured, he also touches base on pitching for Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic in March. Have a look at focal points from the article or click on Anthony McCarron for the complete article:

Santana believes the Mets are familiar with a pitcher suitable to fill the gap in their starting five - Oliver Perez. In a conference call Wednesday, Santana made a pitch for GM Omar Minaya to re-sign the 27-year-old lefthander, who went 10-7 with a 4.22 ERA last season.

"He's a guy, a pitcher I think has learned a lot from last year," the Mets' ace said. "I had a great time with him and hopefully Omar will be able to keep him. He matured.

"He learned every game is important. I told him from the beginning, it doesn't matter what you do tomorrow, you have to learn from today. Sometimes he lets his emotions take over, so he could be more mature this year. Hopefully, Omar and his agent will find a way to keep him in New York.

"He's not just a great guy, but a good pitcher, too. He's going to be a good one."

Santana also reiterated what he said last week in an interview with SNY - his surgically repaired left knee is recovering and he believes he'll be fit enough to pitch for Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic in March.

"I feel that I will play, my mind is set to play," Santana said. "At this point I don't know what's going to happen with the medical staff and the team. There's a lot of things in place here that they have to protect. If they don't want me to play then I won't play. I would love to represent my country and be part of the WBC. My mind is set for that, I'm going to be ready for that, but it's up to the team and Omar."

Santana has been riding a bike and working on strength and conditioning. He realizes he has to "worry about my knee." He added that he might report to Port St. Lucie a week early and said he's going to meet with team trainers in a week.

0 comments: